Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Daughters and Horses

When we moved to the country the excitement of owning some acreage and a large barn prompted a promise to my two daughters that I would one day buy them each any animal they wanted. They each wanted a horse. That was seven years ago and, wanting to wait until they were ready to be caretakers of a horse, we've managed quite a collection of animals to include three rabbits, multiple chickens, three cats and one Golden Retriever named Joe.

Around January of this year the horse discussion crept up with a growing resume of "responsibility tests" the girls reminded me they were passing. They were taking care of their chores which included taking care of Joe and the other critters on a daily basis.

We decided that they were ready for a horse. We found an old horse named "Molly" from a friend and were able to try the animal for a month before making a decision. Now, I say "old" as if I know what I'm talking about when it comes to horses. Everything I write here that sounds like true knowledge, is only me reiterating that which I have learned recently from the girls. I've learned that a good first horse is an older horse because of, in horse talk, age means a mellow horse. I've learned that Quarter and Paint horses are ideal breeds for children.

 Molly

What made me uncomfortable with Molly was that the owners didn't really know what her age was, predicting for us that she was in her early 20's. When the girls first rode Molly with a trainer, I noticed her hind legs appeared quite stiff, were crossing a bit when she walked and her gait was awkward. No question, Molly was a beautiful animal with a temperament similar to Joe - Calm, mellow, carefree - just the way I would like a first horse for my girls to be. The problem that ultimately led to Molly returning home however was that the more I watched the girls ride her, the more I became concerned that her age and agility were fading to the point that she might be more of a pasture pet within a year or so. Basically, this was a gut feeling decision, but Molly's days on the farm ended at the end of the month.

Horses are incredibly beautiful animals and I can certainly see how the girls have fallen for them. The books and movies like "Black Beauty", "Barbie Horse Adventure", and "Spirit - Stallion of the Cimmarron" (all of which this daddy has watched with his girls on numerous occasions) contributed some to their fondness I'm sure. But I've come to believe that there is just a natural connection between horses and little girls. There is a trust, a fondness that makes me both cringe at the thought of the girls placing too much trust into a thousand pound animal and a sincerity that looks forward to seeing that relationship develop one day.

For now, we hope to find the best possible horses for the pasture this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment