Saturday, May 15, 2010

Back to the River

Here goes....my first blog.

Yesterday I returned to the Deschutes River. It had been several years since placing my favorite hand-tied Prince/Pheasant Tail dropper setup in this most unique fishery. I've fly fished since I was a kid, and became quite addicted to the sport in the 90's - but the commitment of work and family redirected my calendar, and focus, away from this activity that helps balance my life. I spent many days on this river in the early 90's as a bachelor with time, a few bucks in my pocket and an old Cortland fly rod. I have returned to some sense of "play" in my life this past year - Running and spey fishing for Sandy River winter steelhead.

 Sunrise on the Sandy River

The day began at 4:30 a.m. after a late night of packing and getting the cataraft ready. This trip was a last minute decision and I was definitely influenced by a fishing report I had read the previous afternoon from a trout shop in Maupin. This report indicated that all systems were go for the Salmon Fly hatch - that the bugs were out in force a couple of weeks early. Well, in hindsight, I should have considered that Maupin must be a good 50 miles north of Warm Springs, and what bugs hatch in Maupin hatch in Warm Springs - only it takes more time for hatches to begin as you move south. I remember a special day (June 7) many years ago on the Warm Springs to Trout Creek float - landing many large Redside Trout on dry Salmon Flies.

I purchased the Sotar ST cataraft in February (drove to Merlin with the girls and stopped at Wildlife Safari) and after a half-dozen trips on the Sandy I was ready and eager for a maiden Big D trip. I was on the water in Warm Springs at 7:15, thankful that I live close enough to be on the water in two hours from my driveway. With a warm (70) morning sun, I hit the river and made my first stop at the island by Mecca campground. Within 20 minutes I caught and released a few nice rainbows. I saw an unexpected steelhead jump a few times in front of me...some guys on the bank saw the same thing and we both shrugged as if saying what in the world are these fish doing in here so early (must be a hold over or returning fish?).

This stretch of river is all Deschutes - Big river runs, tough wading, and prolific wildlife. I captured a video of the largest Blue Heron I've ever seen. I have a new interest for this bird since moving to Boring as they have a migration route that passes above my place (I recently read that some of these migrate thousands of miles, others stay in one region year-round). There were plenty of Salmon Flies flying around but the fish had not yet keyed on this diet.
Whitetail Buck Along the Deschutes River

There's something to be said about being prepared for fly fishing and I think the day would have been better had I a diverse inventory of bugs in the box, a good breakfast to start the day, and a good nights rest. With a busy work schedule this next month, I doubt I'll have a chance to return to the Big D. I'll be better prepared if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment